Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Walnut Surprise Cookies Recipe



Several years ago, I found the most fantastic recipe, but I didn’t write it down… and I haven’t seen it since.  UNTIL, a few weeks ago… I was standing in the checkout line at Kohls. They always have a shelf of books for sale at the registers that are only $5 each for fundraiser.  My oldest daughter was with me, and she picks up this book with Christmas cookie recipes.  She says “Mom, can we get this book?”  And by default, I said “No.”  But I look through it anyways.  Low and behold, there are the cookies!  Well, close enough, anyways.  We ended up getting the book.  I changed the recipe a bit, but I think you will enjoy the results!  I know we already are!

Walnut Surprises

  • 1 cup of softened butter (2 sticks)
  • 6 tablespoons of sugar
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups or so of chopped walnuts
  • 1 bag of Hershey Kisses- whatever kind is good
  • powdered sugar


Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.  Then add the flour and salt.  Mix again until even.  Add the walnuts and mix again. 

I actually used about half the amount of walnuts and I made this recipe twice.  I chopped them very fine, but with the price of walnuts going through the roof…  I just didn’t use as many as I might have in the past.  The cookies still turned out fantastic! 

Also, make sure that you use real butter.  Not margarine.  It’s only one atom short of plastic anyways.  

After the batter is mixed evenly, take out a spoonful of it at a time, place a Hershey Kiss in the center and roll the dough in your hand until it is completely covered.  Place on a cookie sheet.  They won’t expand, so you can put as many as you want on a cookie sheet.  The first time I rolled the Kisses in the dough, I used WAY too much dough for each one.  I only got about 16 cookies.  For the second batch, I made the layer of dough much thinner, and was able to get 32 cookies.  

Bake at 13 to 15 minutes at 325 degrees, or until slightly golden on the bottom of the cookie.  They will still be soft when they are taken out of the oven.  Let sit for just a few minutes, then roll a few at a time in the powdered sugar until coated.  Put on a plate or rack to cool the rest of the way. 

Best when eaten still slightly warm because the chocolate on the inside is soft and oh-so-yummy!





No comments:

Post a Comment