Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Bisquick Recipe- Simple and to the Point

Simple living should always cost less.  If simple living is not costing less, then there is something terribly wrong.  Every little step people take should be one extra penny in their pocket.  When it comes to baking, a lot of the recipes I use also use Bisquick.  And have you looked at how much a box of that stuff costs lately???  Not cheap.  My family goes through a lot of it, so I figured I would share a recipe that I recently found in hopes of cutting another cost.  Bye-bye Bisquick!  Parting is such sweet sorrow- unless it saves you money, and then you can't wait to get it out the door!



Homemade Bisquick recipe (makes 12 cups)-

  • 10 cups all purpose flour (I always use unbleached flour)
  • 2 cups shortening- make sure it is the kind that does not require refrigeration
  • 1/3 cup baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 TBS salt

On a side note- I personally would double quadruple this batch.  12 cups isn't going to cut it, and I don't want to have to make more every time I need a little.  So make it in one big batch and save time. 

Mix all the ingredients together except for the shortening.  After everything else is mixed in, cut in the shortenings with a pastry blender or a fork.  Keep mixing until it looks crumbly.  Store someplace airtight to keep out buggies and to help it stay fresh.  Then use it like you would Bisquick, because that is what it was made for!

I keep my baking shelf organized with everything in airtight containers.  There are some awesome ones out there, and then I fit my shelves to the height of the containers.  It just makes it easier for me to bake if my baking stuff is accessible, convenient, and organized.  I have baskets that separate my baking spices from my cake decorating stuff.  This way I can just pull out one basket and have everything I need without picking through all of it while standing on the counter top because I am too short to actually SEE what is there.  I can, however, reach a basket.  If my baking stuff is more accessible, convenient, and organized...  then I am more likely to bake.  And everybody seems to like it at my house when Mom is in a baking kind of mood.  Go figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment